What are we learning about in Reception?
Week beginning: Monday 22nd May
- Phonics –recapping on phonemes to date – practising segmenting and blending simple sentences and captions.
- Maths – solving problems by halving or finding the total of 2 single digit numbers by counting on.
- Forest School – reciting poetry.
- Writing comments in our learning journals.
- Writing the updates in our plant diaries.
- Writing what we did at the weekend diary entries
How to help at home?
- As you may notice we are writing at every opportunity next week. To reach a good level of development the children need to be able to write a simple sentence that can be read by themselves and others. This is a big focus for us over the next 3 weeks. For those who are already able to form a sentence we are focussing on capital letters and full stops being used appropriately, using conjunctions such as ‘and’ or features of narrative writing such as ‘next’, ‘suddenly’ and ‘finally’. All children need to continue to work on their letter formation. In particular /a/ /h/ /d/ /g/ /n/ If you are not sure how they should be formed correctly, please ask.
- Please keep reading at home! The children will be asked to hand their books in each day. The yellow journals will be checked by myself or Mrs Bunce.
- Keep familiarising and practise ordering your numbers to 20, particularly 10+. We have been looking in particular at the pattern of ones. Please ask if you want further information.
- Have a go at sharing a quantity of objects between members of the family. Eg a slices of pizza, grapes – how many does each person have? Is it an equal share/?
- Find the total number of objects by counting on eg if you have 5 grapes in one pile and 3 more. Hold the 5 in your head and count on 3 to find the answer.
Stay and Play
Wednesday 24th May 8:50-9:30am
Thursday 25th May 2:30pm-3:15pm
All children will have a new unique child summary for you to read and comment on. If you can’t come to a session, please arrange another time to see the learning journal.